What should I take before my workout? 3 do’s and don’ts of pre-workout meals/supplements.
3 DO’S: 30 minutes before exercise
1. 12-16oz H2O. The colder the better!
2. Amino Acids. A supplement that gives you the energy and muscle building affects of protein without slowing you down.
3. Caffein. Allows the cells to expel fat for oxidation (burning of fat for energy) USE WITH CAUTION. Too much can accelerate the heart rate to dangerous levels.
1. Carbohydrates. Although great for energy, they should be avoided unless absolutely necessary to curb appetite. Ingesting them pre-workout “tells” our body to burn carbs instead of fat.
2. Eat meals high in protein and fat too soon before exercise. Allow 2-3 hours for body to digest before engaging in exercise after a large meal (300+ calories)
3. Anti-inflammatory medication or pain killers. Can keep the body from delivering blood efficiently to the muscles, producing an efficient heart rate during exercise, and limit the inflammatory response when performing reps.